KCZD Adoption Policies
- We always work in the best interest of the animal in our care. It is our highest priority.
- We reserve the right to decline to adopt to anyone, at our discretion. An application does not guarantee adoption.
- Kittens under 6 months of age are always adopted in pairs or into a situation where they have an animal friend. It is beneficial to their development at this stage of life.
- We do not “hold” animals for adopters. However, we do have a grace period of a few days for scheduling purposes. An approved applicant should expect to bring their chosen companion home no later than 7 days of approval or risk them being adopted by another approved applicant willing to take them sooner.
- This policy was created due to many instances of approved adopters going on vacation or asking us to hold a cat for them and then ultimately deciding not to adopt when they return – it’s not fair to the cat to lose out on another adoption in the meantime!
- We may choose to suspend the scheduling grace period in favor of a first-come, first-serve adoption policy for approved adopters. This happens most frequently during kitten season where there is a lot of interest and it is not reasonable to hold kittens longer than necessary.
On average, the cost of care per kitty is approximately $400. This includes medical care, shelter, food, and care supplies. KCZD is a non-profit, and our adoption donation does not reflect the full cost of the care our cats receive. The difference is made up by tireless efforts from our amazing volunteer fundraising team. Donations are always appreciated!
All of our felines are spayed/neutered, microchipped, flea-treated, dewormed, FIV/FeLV tested, and up-to-date on vaccinations appropriate for their age.
The current adoption donation rates for felines are:
- $150 for kittens (up to 1 year)
- $100 for an adult (1 to 9 years)
- $80 for a senior (10+).
We also have a two-furr-one special you should ask us about!
The Adoption Process
Application. The prospective adopter submits an application to start the process. If you have applied or adopted from us before, but it was over a year ago, we request that you submit an updated application.
Review. The application is reviewed by our adoption team, who follow up on the information provided.
Conversation with Adopter. A phone call with the applicant to help get the information we need to complete the application approval process and match them with the right animal.
Meet-and-Greet (optional). A meet-and-greet is scheduled with the approved adopter and the animal they are interested in, if desired. There are options for virtual and/or in-person meet and greets in most cases.
Adoption Day! This happens at our Milltown Adoption Center, located at 39 S Main Street, Milltown, NJ 08850. We use the back door and parking is in the back of the building!
Medical Review and Contract Signing. The medical review and contract singing will either happen prior to adoption day (we use Docusign for virtual contracts when available) or in person on paper on adoption day. This varies depending on the circumstances, though we prefer to have this done before adoption day to make for a smooth pick-up experience!
Adoption Donation. The adoption donation can be paid via Paypal, Venmo (@karmacatzendog), Check, or Cash.